Switching to Ubuntu Linux can get a bit overwhelming at first. Even basic tasks such as removing and uninstalling programs can confound you. Do not fret. There are different ways for uninstalling any program or software in Ubuntu Linux. In this blog, we will check out some of the best ways for uninstalling software in Ubuntu.
Uninstall software with Terminal
- Firstly, you need to launch Terminal. The terminal application icon will be located on the left-hand corner of the display. If it isn’t, then hit the Ubuntu button located at the upper left-hand edge of the display and write terminal in the search bar. Click on Terminal from the search results.
- Now, just launch the listing of all the presently installed programs. Key in dpkg –list in the Terminal and hit the Enter key.
- Locate the program you wish to remove. You will be required to check the actual title of the program file instead of the program’s name.
- Now, you are required to key in the apt-get command. To do so, just key in sudo apt-get purge remove XYZ in the Terminal app. Ensure that you have entered the real name of the program rather than XYZ. Hit the Enter key.
- After that, you will be asked to key in the root password. Just carefully fill in the superuser password and just hit the Enter button.
- Now, just confirm the removal. Key in Y and hit the Enter key. The program will start uninstalling. When the uninstallation is over, just close the Terminal app.
- Uninstallation process may take longer if the program is heavy-weight.
Uninstall software with Ubuntu App
- You need to launch the Ubuntu app. The icon is orange and white in color with a briefcase.
- Go to the Installed tab located in the upper segment.
- Now, locate the software that you wish to uninstall. Go through the entire listing of installed programs and find the one you wish to remove. You can also click on the search bar located at the upper right-hand edge of the screen and enter the program’s name.
- Just click on the Remove button. This button will be present next to the program you wish to remove.
- When the prompt appears to confirm the action, click on the OK button.
- Now, the software will get uninstalled.
About us :
Peter Wilson is a Microsoft Office expert and has been working in the technical industry since 2002. As a technical expert, Bradon has written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as office.com/setup.